Friday, February 7, 2014

I want to talk about lines, okay?


I'm not a geometry major, nor am I an artist. Both of which, I think, know a bit about lines. I do know that I can draw a straight line. That three of them make a triangle, and that curved ones make circles, sometimes. That we try to stay within them when coloring and driving. There is lithography and drawing and sculpture. Lines can divide territories and write hate mail and they created my favorite painting and they draw my name on the tops of all the pages. (and there is a point to it all!)

I read somewhere that parallel lines have everything in common and never meet, ever. And also that perpendicular lines meet once and drift apart forever.

They're both sad.

So maybe what I'm saying is that I KNOW THEY WERE JUST TRYING TO TEACH YOU MOTOR SKILLS BY KEEPING YOU IN THE LINES AND MAKING YOU TRACE OVER AND OVER AND OVER THE LETTERS IN THE ALPHABETS, BUT THEY JUST WANT YOU TO END UP WITH GOOD HANDWRITING AND THE ABILITY TO GET A COLLEGE EDUCATION AND A DESK JOB.

And that's pretty sad, too,  I think.

\\
Rothko

5 comments:

  1. Observation: You changed your signature from perpendicular lines to parallel lines. On purpose or not, I don't know but I like it and this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love how you sign after every post.

    ReplyDelete